Thursday, September 5, 2013

Painted Candlesticks

Hi Everyone,



In my last post, My Tips for Creating a Vignette a pair of candlesticks are nestled in the corner.  These candlesticks were originally painted a metallic gold and although I liked them I felt they needed a little makeover to go with the general color scheme of our home. So I repainted them with chalk paint, acrylic paint and  a dark wax.
 
Pictured~the candlesticks on the left





My sister gave me these candlesticks a couple of years ago. They were leftover items from a project she was working. I was hesitant at first to take the pair since I wasn't sure it would fit the decor, but a little paint completely changed the look and now looks like it belongs in our home.

Pictured~The "Before"

 
Below are the products I used~Amy Howard Chalk Paint, Annie Sloan Dark Wax, and a mix of Folk Art Acrylic Paint.


It took three coats of the Amy Howard Chalk Paint to completely conceal the gold.  All four of us tackled this paint project, my youngest at  almost four loving the fact that she could use a big girl paint brush to paint on something other than paper.


 
 
I allowed the Chalk Paint to dry completely before adding my acrylic paint mix to the details already in place on the candlestick.  The acrylic paint dried quickly and I was able to apply the wax in all the crevices with a brush to achieve the distressed, antique look.
 










So a one day project with many helping hands transformed a very gold metallic pair of candlesticks to a distressed, weathered look, far more fitting for our home.

Thanks for Reading, my Friends.

XOXO,
SK

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful set of candlesticks! I love the finish on them! They look like antiques!

    Happy day!
    karianne

    ReplyDelete