I probably had no business trying this at home, but was pleasantly surprised just how easy it was to complete. I used a very basic sewing machine with basic sewing skills. All that is needed is persistence and a little effort. I used drop cloth, washed and dried before sewing and brown trim I had from a previous project. The total cost for this make over was $45.00!
In a nutshell, I placed the drop cloth on the front arm of the chair and traced the shape, sewed piping on the edge. After the arm pieces were completed I placed the fabric over arms and draped from the floor over to the base of the chair. I measured and cut, sewed the piping and attached to the front arm pieces. I then proceeded to the back of the chair, this is where I added velco for easy removal and placement. So there you had it...
I took me to complete about 2 hours each evening for about 2 weeks. I think the time commitment was well worth it. In this house with little ones, slipcovers are practical and have a more casual feel in a family room/play room. So until the little ones are older and we can invested in upholstered pieces we will make do with DIY slipcovers.
So hopefully this inspires you all to grab some fabric and slipcover a chair that has seen better days.
Below are some before and after pictures...
As a side note I also a repainted a table we had in the storage space, waiting to be used again. So here is the before and after.
|Old Honey Stained table~Before|
As always thanks for reading this blog and Happy Wednesday!
I linked up with