Thursday, September 28, 2017

Tutorial for a Pillow with a Mitered Corner Ribbon

Hi Friends,

Sorry for the delay in writing  and posting.  I have been rather busy with my girls lately, preparing them for the  athletic and academic year.  I haven't been sewing much, mostly painting and fixing odds and ends around the house.
While ruminating on the guest bedroom and thoughts on paint color and furniture placement I noticed a pillow cover I had completed several years ago now on the bed that just seemed tired and out of place so I promtly viisted the fabric store in town.  I have a huge affinity toward blue and white lately, partly due to Mark Sikes and his tremendously popular instagram feed featuring his amazing work and inspiration.
This fabric, pictured below,  was a clearance item and I think will work beautifully with the guest bedroom when it is complete.  I also took this opportunity to curate a tutorial on the a simple pillow cover with a mitered corner.  I hope it is simple to copy and the instructions easy to follow.




The Supplies:
Tape Measure
Ribbon
Down pillow insert
Pins
Scissors
Zipper

Step 1

Cut fabric to size.  My pillow measured 21X21 so I cut two sides equally 20X20.

Pin the raw edge of the zipper to the right side raw edge of fabric.  I also added an additional piece(optional) to hide the zipper once the pillow is complete.  

Zipper Placement
Step 2

Pin other side of zipper to other piece of fabric (backside of pillow)



Now sew the zipper in place on both sides of the zipper.

Step 3
 Add ribbon of choice.  Initially pin in place and miter the corners as shown.  I added the ribbon 2 inches from the edge.
                





Mitred Corner

Step 4

Sew the ribbon in place.  This step is time consuming since I tend to creep along with the sewing needle.  The ribbon tends to shift so be careful and take your time.

Sew the edges of the pillow in place.  I should have zig- zagged the edges to prevent fraying.  I would recommend you always zig- zag the edges before beginning a project.


Edges sewed together and the back-side of the pillow with ribbon stitching shown. 



Step 5
Completed pillow with ribbon attached.  Press all the corners thoroughly and remove all creases and wrinkles.









Mitered Corner Pillow


A special thanks for reading the blog and hope you find inspiration for your home.
Warmly,
Sarah☺











2 comments:

  1. This pillow is beautiful Sarah! I love the ribbon trim! I have never tried to add a zipper before--I have always thought it was beyond my sewing abilities but maybe I will get brave and give this a try soon. Thanks for the step-by-step directions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like the step by step! Sewing zippers just takes a little practice, before you know it you will be a pro!

      Delete