Friday, June 28, 2013

Sewing Panels-A Tutorial

Hi Everyone, 


This home is our third together and I would have to admit selecting fabrics and sewing  panels and pillows is my most favorite DIY  project.  I think these type projects are an easy and affordable way to create a unique, comfortable and cozy home. I usually sew pinch-pleat panels because I love the traditional and elegant feel.  The only negative is the amount of fabric used and it can be challenging  to work with yards and yards of fabric.  So if you have always wanted to sew these type panels, here is a relatively easy project to do in your home for a custom look.
Pinch Pleat Panels


Supplies need at least 6 yds of fabric (more for larger in width windows)
Header Tape
Hooks
Lining ( I usually order the same amount in lining as actual fabric)

I typically use two widths of 54"in fabric and sew together.  The same with the lining. Press open the seams.





Press Open the seams and place wrong side of each panel together


On both edges I double hem 2" seams and then hand stitch or blind stitch on the machine




Add the header tape and I usually measure from end to end 2 inches for the pinch pleat placement.


Pinch the pleats together leaving 2 inches inbetween each completed pleat.


Sew together on the front and back of each panels








Add the pin on hooks


I usually hem when the panels are hanging and I can easily double hem to the exact length.








So another completed project and really it doesn't take that long to sew.  I have a basic sewing machine and basic sewing skills.  So hopefully this inspires you all to sew beautiful panels if this is your taste in drapery.

Have a fabulous weekend!



XOXO

SK



12 comments:

  1. Fabulous tutorial and they look so pretty. I would love for you to link up to my Inspire Me party that will be live Monday evening. www.astrollthrulife.net. Hope to see you there. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will Do, Marty. Thanks for the invite!
      Sarah

      Delete
  2. Great tutorial!!!! Thanks so much for sharing! Have you ever used smocking tape!

    Have a wonderful Fourth!
    karianne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karianne! I haven't used it, although I would like to try at some point!
      Have a great 4th as well!
      Sarah

      Delete
  3. I'm so impressed -- you could sell those for a lot -- they're beautiful! XO, Aimee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aimee! and also for the feature. Have a great rest of the weekend.
      Sarah

      Delete
  4. Beautiful, Sarah! Thank you for sharing at Brag About It this week!
    ~ Megin of VMG206
    Enter the Wonderful Summer Giveaway (ends 7/3 midnight)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sarah! Thanks for the tutorial. I have made the drop cloth drapes in my home, but am ready to do something else. I have wanted to do the pinch-pleat method, but as you stated, they do take quite a lot of fabric...but are elegant looking! I found your blog on the Fun in the Sun Linky party and am your newest follower. I hope you get a chance to stop by Still Woods Farmhouse for a visit!
    Happy 4th of July and Blessings from Still Woods Farmhouse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will do! Thanks for the lovely comment and look forward to seeing your pinch pleat panels in the future.
      Have a great rest of the weekend.
      Sarah

      Delete
  6. Sarah, you make it look so easy. But, still beyond what I can do :) Looks great!
    x Loi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how I remember making sheer drapes this way. With my sewing machine on the kitchen table no less! And four little ones "helping" me.
    It is a lot of work, but worth it as they do look more polished. But once was enough! I haven't done it again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know they are alot of work, with all that fabric. My girlies like to help too-playing on the fabric and practicing their pinning skills.
      Thanks for your comment and visit.
      Sarah

      Delete